Advocacy and Care Management Services
How an Independent Patient or Health Advocate or Care Manager Can Help You
- Do you need help reducing or negotiating your medical bills?
- Were you recently diagnosed and need a second opinion?
- Do you want to explore additional treatment options so you can make the best choice for yourself?
- Are you concerned about the safety of an upcoming hospital stay?
- Are you alone and needing help navigating any part of the healthcare system?
The AdvoConnection Directory contains the professionals and contact information you need to directly access hundreds of independent, private health and patient advocates and care managers in the United States and Canada who can help you with those challenges and many more.
Advocacy provides you with the non-medical help you need – navigation through the system, someone to fight for your rights, and review, reduction, or negotiation for your medical bills. Some advocates are clinical (nurses or physicians), but their services may still be non-medical. You will want to confirm the services they offer to be sure you’ll receive exactly the help you need.
Our listed advocates are private pay. They work outside existing reimbursement-based healthcare systems in order to bring you the best care you can get, focused on your wants and needs, without the for-profit influence or rationing that takes place from inside the medical system.
If you don’t see the service you think you need, contact an advocate and discuss your needs with them. If they can’t help, they may be able to help you find it anyway.
The list of services provided by private, independent advocates continues to grow. We add new services to this list as needed.
Master List of Advocacy and Care Management Services
» Medical / Navigational Assistance and Case Management
- For your diagnosis and treatment recommendations – review of options, assistance with decision-making
- Background research:diagnosis and/or treatment options
- Records review and discussion
- Prescriptions / Supplements / Medication Reviews
- Preparation for appointments
- Accompaniment to appointments
- Hospital bedside monitoring
- Pain Management and Palliative Care Consulting – finding the right resources
- Healthcare proxy and advance directive assistance
- Caregiver support
- Guardianship or Conservatorship Services (limited by states and provinces)
» Medical Billing / Health Insurance /
Medicare / Payer Assistance
- Medical bill reviews and reconciliation
- Helping you choose the right health insurance plan or payer for you
- Filing and tracking medical bill paperwork and payments
- Negotiations: disputes, denials of claims, and appeals, for hospital bills or other medical billing
- Medicare or Medicaid recommendations and decision-making (Advantage Plans, Medigap, others)
» Home Health, Eldercare, End-of-Life Services – helping you find:
- In-home nursing care
- Home therapy and rehabilitation
- Daily living assistance
- Assisted living and nursing home recommendations
- Pain Management
- Hospice and palliative care services
- End of life planning including advance directives
» Shared Decision Making
» Finding help for Pain Management
» Mental Health / Substance Abuse Services
» Dental Advocacy
- Decision-making for dental health needs
- Review and negotiation of dentist bills
» Mediation Assistance for Family Health Matters
- When difficult health-related decisions need to be made for a loved one, including family disputes (moving a parent into a nursing home, choosing an out-of-town treatment facility, and others)
» Legal or Fiduciary Assistance (Medical / Healthcare Related)
- Worker’s Compensation assistance
- Disability filings and review including Social Security Disability
- Malpractice and medical error review
- Guardianship or Conservatorship services
» Prevention Services – finding help for:
- Pain Management
- Drug and supplement reviews
- Health coaching
- Weight Loss